Our village is situated approximately 10 miles south of York in North Yorkshire. Skipwith is mentioned in the Doomsday book as 'Schiperwic' possibly meaning sheep station or village. Historically Skipwith has been a farming village and a few farms still remain producing wheat, barley, potatoes and carrots etc.
A village green and pond feature at the entrance to the village, leading down Main Street to the historic church of St. Helen that dates back to approximately 960AD. The church features an Anglo-Saxon tower with a Norman nave, with later additions of side aisles and a Victorian porch.
Evidence of a moated manorial site still remains opposite the church. The Skipwith family owned the land for a long period ending with the sale of the manor in 1708. In 1725 Skipwith Hall was built on the main street and is still used as a home today, hosting the church garden fête each year in its beautiful grounds.
The Methodist Church which stands on York Road was opened in 1869 and continues today with services every Sunday.
The school, also located on York Road, was founded in 1717 by Dorothy Wilson of York. The school was run by the Parish Clerk until it was taken over by the Local Education Authority. It closed in 1957 and in 1959 became the village hall. There are many events held in the hall including church and Parish Council meetings, Brownies and fund raising events.
Skipwith Common, now designated as a Site of Specific Scientific Interest, has revealed evidence of settlement as early as 6000BC with flint blades found in 1941. Bronze and iron age archaeological evidence has also been found.
Skipwith Common was not enclosed until 1901 and in 1941 the RAF established an aerodrome on part of it. The aerodrome is no longer used but some of the features still remain. Today the reserve is managed by English Nature and Escrick Park Estate. English Nature have a particular interest in the Common and have said 'Skipwith Common is one of the last remaining areas of northern lowland heath in England. An incredible variety of plants and animals depend on the Common for their survival. The 270 hectares of open heath, ponds and mire are an ancient landscape, with its roots in pre-history.'
Today the Common has many visitors for walks and bird watching and is well supported by the 'Friends of Skipwith Common' group.